We're excited to see progress on a project that is particularly near and dear to our hearts at TINTO — the resurrection of the vacant Wallace Tower at Seaton Park, Aberdeen.
Our plans to restore, refurbish and extend it have now been approved by the Tillydrone Community Development Trust, and we are looking forward to the next stages.
A Piece of Aberdonian History
Built in the 1600s by Sir Robert Keith of Benholm — whose brother George Keith founded Aberdeen's Marischal College — this historic building is a fine example of a Z-shaped fortified tower house.
It was later owned by the Duns of Tarty family and wealthy merchant James Abernethy, eventually being purchased by the council in 1918.
At the of its original construction, it was situated at Netherkirkgate in Aberdeen's city centre — but in the 1960s it was moved (stone by stone) to Seaton Park to make room for an expanded Marks & Spencer supermarket, which is still trading today.
Preserved, Extended, Revitalised
Our plans are centred on preserving the existing building and bringing it back into use in a sustainable manner that will benefit the community. To do this, we have also included an extension to the building, sited to the north east of the original structure — providing a modern multi-purpose space that will both contrast with and complement the existing building. The extension will be subservient with a minimal connection and disruption to the historic tower.
The extension will also provide level access for disabled visitors as well as visitors with children in prams and pushchairs. The public facilities will all be located on the ground floor level, with the upper floors of the tower being utilised as office accommodation.
The key features of this extension were agreed as follows:
• Contemporary Design — seamlessly combining old and new
• Single Storey — to ensure minimal visual impact
• Arranged for Views — maximising scenery and natural light